samedi 3 septembre 2011

Together they said, “Amen, Amen,” and lay down for the night [Tobit 8:4-8]

The parents meanwhile had gone out and shut the door behind them.  Tobias rose from the bed, and said to Sarah, “Get up, my sister!  You and I must pray and petition our Lord to win his grace and his protection.”  She stood up, and they began praying for protection, and this was how he began:

You are blessed, O God of our fathers; blessed too is your name for ever and ever.
Let the heavens bless you and all things you have made for evermore.
You it was who created Adam, you who created Eve his wife to be his help and support;
and from these two the human race was born.
You it was who said, ‘It is not right that the man should be alone; let us make him a helper like him.”
And so I take my sister not for any lustful motive, but I do it in singleness of heart.
Be kind enough to have pity on her and on me and bring us to old age together.
And together they said, “Amen, Amen,”  and lay down for the night.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire